Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers' Day

I have very distinct memories of Mothers' Day as a kid. We would go to church, and they had flowers that they gave out to all the mom's. My mom would go up and get hers, or if she had be at work the night before, Dad to Mike and I to church and we got it for her. The rest of the day involved trips to see my Grandmothers (they lived a few blocks apart) and great-grandmothers and then a large family meal at a someone's house. I can't begin to tell you all how much my mother has done for me over the years - and how me she continues to do for me as an adult. She's is also an incredible Grandmother to Ryan and my brother's girls. The thing is though, I have a completely new appreciation for Mothers' Day now. We all know that when you're a kid, you just don't understand - sure, you bought Mom and card and a gift - but did you REALLY understand what it's all about. Then when you're a teenager and young adult, chances are you were too self-absorbed to take the time to truly understand. I know I was. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mom, she knows I do, and she knows I appreciate her.

Before I dig myself too deep of a whole, let me get to the point. The past nine months have completely changed my perspective on motherhood. No amount of formal education, 4.0 GPA, or entry level position teaches you how to do the things that Lisa has done. Nothing fully prepared her for the daily life with Ryan. I am in awe. Now, I honestly understand Mothers' Day. I really think that you need to be a Dad - watching a mother in action - to truly appreciate it.

Mom - words can't express the gratitude. Lisa - you are simply incredible.

Happy Mothers' Day to all the Moms out there.

I took this picture of Ryan 7 months ago - but the words are just as true today, and they always will be.
As for this one....Just wanted to say Happy Mothers' Day to my mom - to put it simply - Thank you.

1 comment:

K and As Mom said...

It's so nice to hear such appreciation! :)

Happy First Mother's Day, Lisa!!